Tuesday, February 08, 2005

State of the Union - Part 1

Over the past couple of days, I had been putting up my responses to the President's State of the Union address. Or at least I thought it was his address from this year. Instead, it was the speech from 2003. So if you've been following along, I apologize. Instead I'll be starting tonight with the 2005 speech. And this time I'm sure that it's the 2005 speech.

Ok, on to the introduction, that you can read along here on cnn.com. I'll be following their format for the speech, so the next post will be on the economy, etc. Like before, I'll just be commenting on policy, not speaking style or anything that you can't get from reading the transcript.

Basically, this section has to deal with setting the tone for the rest of the speech. And it looks like there are going to be two themes, one focusing on the role of the United States and the rest of the world, as evidenced by the comments on Afghanistan, Ukraine and Iraq. The other theme for the President's speech is on the future of the nation. Nothing too flashy about either of these topics so we'll just have to see how that turns out.