Sunday, November 06, 2005

West Wing "Debate"

At first I was very skeptical about the whole concept, especially considering that NBC put the "NBC News" logo in the corner. It would take a whole lot of stupidity to think that it was a real debate, but I wouldn't put it past the American public to think that Alan Alda is running for President this year. The question is how many people think that's going to be real.

Even so, I think they did a real good job of creating Democratic and Republican characters. Even so, I think that's really, really insane how the Alan Alda was so pro-market and anti-government. Sure, the writers went overboard on the whole "Tax Cuts" thing, but towards the end that I watched, when they were talking about energy policy, Alda blew the other candidate out of the water.

I would love to see a candidate that is out of the economic libertarian mold. That's not going to happen unless the libertarians take over the Republican Party.

So I'm almost tempted to see how the writers of "The West Wing" will play out the rest of the election. Is it the charasmatic Texas Latino who likes government, or is it going to be the old, cranky free market white guy. I have a good idea which direction it will go in, but we'll see.