Friday, January 13, 2006

TGIF Friday Line Up

No, "Family Matters" and "Full House" aren't coming back to ABC, but John Stossel is. In case you've never read his work (I have), he's a journalist for ABC News and is probably the most unapologetic libertarian journalists out there.

So tonight, on 20/20, there will be a presentation called "Stupid in America: How we are cheating our kids". Here's the blurb from the webpage:
There are many factors that contribute to failure in school. A major factor, Stossel finds, is the government's monopoly over the school system. Parents don't get to choose where to send their children. In other countries, choice brings competition, and competition improves performance.


Stossel questions government officials, union leaders, parents and students and learns some surprising things about what's happening in U.S. schools. He also examines how the educational system can be improved upon and reports on innovative programs across the country.


Oh, and I like this quote:
"I think it has to be something with the school, 'cause I don't think we're stupider."
I think there's a textbook case for irony to be said here.

I may take notes or at least have some kind of reaction to it whenever I get another chance to go online.